As a person with a mental illness, you have a lot of rights. There are plenty of places to find those, so I won’t bother posting them here. These are some rights based on my observations.
You have the right:
- To be upset if someone uses your illness against you when they are trying to make a point.
- To stay away from people who create chaos in your life.
- To advocate for your needs on a personal, local, state, and federal level.
- To correct negative assumptions your loved ones may have about your diagnosis.
- To keep looking until you find a mental health professional that is right for you.
- To research therapies (both standard and alternative) that may fit your lifestyle.
- To change your mind.
- To lead a full life.
- To deny any perceptions you have of yourself that will hinder your ability to heal and grow.
- To party. Within legally defined limits.